Monday, April 8, 2013

Birthday Party Cupcakes

Soon after making the wedding cupcakes for my in-laws' anniversary party, a friend of mine asked me to make cupcakes for a birthday party celebrating two of her precious little girls.  As much as I enjoy making and decorating cupcakes, I also enjoy eating cupcakes, meaning it doesn't take much to convince me to make them for any event (great or small).  My husband usually doesn't complain too much either.  

My friend did not have any specific requests for designs or decorations.  The only guidance I received was that one girl loves hot pink and the other loves bright blue.  Following our discussion, I felt the need (or maybe a strong desire) to roam the craft store for ideas.  I decided to create a cake stand using fabric that uses both colors (and a few others thrown in the mix) and then keep the cupcakes themselves simple.


I loved the idea of covering boxes in fabric and accenting them with ribbon.  The white ribbon really toned down the bright colors of the fabric while keeping brightness of the fabric true to its form.  I was extremely pleased with how this turned out!  Since the fabric that I picked (with some guidance from the girls) incorporates a number of vibrant colors, overdecorated cupcakes would be overwhelming. 



I found sprinkles that used the blue and the pink while matching the fabric for all the friends to enjoy.  For the birthday girls, I decorated their cupcakes with either blue or pink sprinkles topped with a white candle.  The girls loved the cupcakes decorated for them!  Needless to say, there were not many cupcakes left over after the party.  


I told my husband that I feel as though I have a new and successful hobby.  I am already lined up to make cupcakes for another event in the coming months and I will obviously have to do some taste testing prior to that event.  Now I just need to figure out what fun decoration to try next! Fondant, maybe??


1 comment:

  1. I must say that I am very jealous of your husband. Such creativity and baking skills.

    ReplyDelete